Many people may be wondering what canning supplies they will need to begin canning at home. Here are the most important canning supplies.
1. Canning jars - Make sure you get jars that are specially designed for canning. This will ensure the bands and lids fit properly to give you a proper seal and that they will not break under the heat and pressure of a pressure canner.
2. Boiling water canner - If you are canning acid foods such as jams, jellies, fruit and pickled foods you will want a boiling water canner. Make sure it has a canning rack inside along with a lid.
3. Pressure canner - All low acid foods like meats and most vegetables need to be canned in a pressure canner to ensure safe canning. If you plan on canning these types of foods a pressure canner is a must.
4. New lids and bands - Before you start canning always make sure you have enough brand new lids on hand. You do not want to reuse old lids because they will not seal properly. However, you can use bands from year to year. Just inspect the bands to make sure they screw on the jars properly and are not bent or corroded.
5. Jar lifter - A jar lifter is almost the most important piece of canning equipment. It is hard to replace a jar lifter for getting the canning jars out of the hot water.
6. Magnetic lid lifter - A magnetic lid lifter makes it easy to remove lids and bands from hot water when canning.
7. Wide mouth funnel - You may have a regular funnel already at home but a wide mouth funnel is irreplaceable. It sits down in the top of the jar and makes it easy to pour foods and hot liquids into the jar. It also helps keep food off the rim of the jar.
So, as you can see, these seven canning supplies are very important to have before you start your home canning. They will ensure safe and easy canning.
And if you would like more information about canning and canning supplies please visit our website at [http://www.jrkfamilyoutdoors.com/canning] You can receive 18 free videos that answer many questions about home canning just by signing up for our newsletter.
By: Rhonda Percell - Wife, Mother of 3, and owner of JRK Family Outdoors